We work with our agencies and partners to support the transport network that helps the UK’s businesses and gets people and goods travelling around the country. We plan and invest in transport infrastructure to keep the UK on the move.
We are responsible for:
- providing policy, guidance, and funding to English local authorities to help them run and maintain their road networks, improve passenger and freight travel, and develop new major transport schemes
- investing in, maintaining and operating around 4,300 miles of the motorway and trunk road network in England through Highways England
- setting the strategic direction for the rail industry in England and Wales – funding investment in infrastructure through Network Rail, awarding and managing rail franchises, and regulating rail fares
- improving English bus services through funding and regulation
- working to make our roads less congested and polluted by promoting lower carbon transport, including cycling and walking
- encouraging the use of new technology such as smart ticketing and low carbon vehicles
- maintaining high standards of safety and security in transport
- supporting the maritime sector by producing the overall strategy and planning policy for ports in England and Wales
- setting national aviation policy, working with airlines, airports, the Civil Aviation Authority and NATS (the UK’s air traffic service)
Our priorities are:
- boosting economic growth and opportunity
- building a One Nation Britain
- improving journeys
- safe, secure and sustainable transport
Read our Single departmental plan to find out how we are performing against our objectives.
Who we are
The Department for Transport and our agencies employ around 18,245 staff and 354 non-payroll staff, who work in locations across the country.
Access our information
- Our organisation chart
- Office access and opening times
- Research at DFT
- Our energy use
- Complaints procedure
- Media enquiries
- Statistics at DfT
- Corporate reports
- Transparency data
Jobs and contracts
Read about the types of information we routinely publish in our Publication scheme. Find out about our commitment to Welsh language scheme. Our Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information. Read our policy on Social media use.