Working for DFT
Careers in the Department for Transport.
Our staff work in a wide number of roles, including:
- project and programme management
- policy advice
- digital comms
- transport modelling
- social research
- human resources
The skills we value
You’ll find specific descriptions in the advertisements we post for jobs but there are essential skills you will need:
- being able to work in a team - we don’t run transport services directly ourselves, we work with our delivery partners like train and bus companies, local authorities etc
- excellent communication skills, so we can negotiate with, and influence, our partners effectively
We also value people who can demonstrate excellent leadership and management skills.
Above all we are looking for people who are enthusiastic and motivated about improving transport.
The benefits of working with us
Many of our staff say it’s the interesting, varied and worthwhile work that’s the real benefit for working with us.
Our staff get:
- free health checks
- retail discounts
- an opportunity to ‘buy’ more holiday entitlement
- clear objectives that can lead to an annual bonus
- information to see how everyone’s work fits into the wider objectives for DfT
- fully supported to carry out their work - if a member of staff needs training or equipment etc, we have a process to get it
Transport is a very high profile area. Everyone relies on the transport network in one way or another, whether it is to get to work or school, visit friends and relatives or the movement of freight so there is food in the shops. Our staff know how important their work is and how they fit in.
Flexible working patterns
Our full time staff based both in and outside London work 37 hours a week, excluding lunch breaks.
Wherever possible, we offer flexible and variable working hours to help our staff have a healthy work/life balance. Many of the jobs are offered as part-time or job share, and working hours can often be varied to suit personal circumstances, or home working can be considered.
At DfT you have the right to a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation regardless of race, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, sex, gender identity, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, working hours, union membership, union office or union activity.
Holiday and travel
All new staff get 25 days annual leave plus 8 days of public holidays. You may be able to ‘buy’ additional holiday days.
Staff can also apply for interest free season ticket loans.
Sport and recreation
We have a very active sport and recreation club affiliated to the Civil Service Sports Council and it hosts many events and activities like language classes, golf, tennis, football, photography and more.
Salary: £50,696 - £57,506.
Applications close 3 Apr 2017.
Look for job vacancies at DfT on: