The Department publishes, in real-time, the energy used in its headquarters building. We also make our energy use data available in a format that can be reused.
More efficient building
To make our headquarters in London more efficient, we:
- are installing more energy-efficient lighting
- have installed pulse meters on our electric and gas meters so we can identify and fix wastage
- have switched off all unnecessary lighting in reception areas
- have installed timers on all hot water heaters in tea-points so that they’re not on in the evenings or at weekends
- have switched off and isolated all heaters in stairwells
We are currently assessing the CO2 benefits of the above measures.
Staff behaviour change
We also provide our staff with regular reminders and tips on how to save energy in the office, such as:
- turning off monitors when away from the desk
- greater use of video or telephone conferencing
- using the stairs instead of the lift
- displaying weekly energy use on news screens in the department