Procurement at DFT
Doing business with us.
We can provide potential suppliers with information about our procurement activity, processes and contacts if required. These documents help suppliers understand our procurement processes.
Improving business opportunities for small and medium enterprises
An action plan showing the activity we are undertaking to improve business opportunities for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) including details for contacting us about opportunities for SMEs:
- actions for improving business opportunities for small and medium enterprises
- helpful information for SMEs
- Simon Lydiard, SME Champion
What suppliers can do
We value the specialist expertise, innovation and fresh ideas provided by SMEs:
To utilise the skills of SMEs on bigger projects, however, it may be necessary to use SMEs as sub-contractors to a main supplier. We actively encourage potential suppliers to sub-contract to smaller suppliers. By doing so, you will be helping us break down barriers to the participation of SMEs in government contracts.
Some of our best suppliers are engaging SMEs by:
- supporting prompt payment (a particularly important issue for SMEs)
- negotiating appropriate contract terms with their sub-contractors which do not place a disproportionate burden on smaller suppliers
- actively seeking out specialist niche firms by holding events or carrying out other networking activities
- advertising opportunities on contracts finder
What are you doing? Please let us know firstname.lastname@example.org.
Crown Representative for SMEs
Stephen Allot is the Crown Representative for SMEs. You can find out more about Stephen and his role on the Cabinet Office website:
DFT procurement contacts
Department for Transport
Sedlescombe Road North
East Sussex, TN37 7GA
Telephone: 020 7944 8288