- Prime Minister's Office, 10 Downing Street, Department for International Development, Department of Energy & Climate Change, Foreign & Commonwealth Office, The Rt Hon David Cameron The Rt Hon Tobias Ellwood MP, The Rt Hon Philip Hammond MP, The Rt Hon Hugo Swire , and The Rt Hon Justine Greening MP
- 22 September 2014
- Last updated:
- 27 September 2014, see all updates
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
The Prime Minister led a delegation to the 69th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York.
A key priority for the UK government at UNGA was building broad-based support for the new Iraqi government and for international action to confront ISIL (Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant) and tackle Islamic extremism. Read about the UK government response to ISIL.
Read the Prime Minister’s closing speech at UNGA.
Alongside the Prime Minister, ministers from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Department of Energy and Climate Change and Department for International Development attended UNGA.
News and announcements
See key events from UNGA on our Storify.
The UK is leading a mission to defeat the Ebola outbreak in Sierra Leone, and called on governments at UNGA to join its action plan.
- The UK is leading the international drive against Ebola in Sierra Leone
- International call for assistance to combat Ebola from the governments of Sierra Leone and the UK
- UK action plan to defeat Ebola in Sierra Leone: background
The UN summit on climate change saw major initiatives on climate, as over 120 leaders gathered to offer high level political support and momentum to efforts for a global climate deal at the key Paris summit in December 2015.
- UN Climate Summit 2014: David Cameron’s remarks
- UK hails successful start to 15 months of climate diplomacy
- Renewed support to reduce emissions through protecting the world’s forests
- Joint statement on REDD+
- UK to tackle deforestation in developing countries
Representatives from the Friends of Syria, including UK Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond, met with Syrian National Coalition President Hadi al-Bahra to demonstrate collective support for the moderate opposition led by the National Coalition.
The UK is stepping up humanitarian support for Syrian families caught in the crisis, as unrest from ISIL extremism continues to threaten the region.
- PM meeting with UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon
- PM meeting with President El Sisi
- PM meeting with President Rouhani
- PM meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan
Follow these Twitter accounts to get the latest from UNGA:
Relevant hashtags: #UNGA, #UNGA69, #MDGCountdown, #MDGMomentum, #Climate2014, #backclimateaction #TimeToAct, #HeForShe, #EbolaResponse, #WCIP2014 (World Conference on Indigenous People), #SocialGoodSummit, #FreeAndEqual (LGBT rights), #ZeroHunger, #ChildrenOfSyria, #ChildrenNotSoldiers, #NoLostGeneration
Follow the UK Mission to the UN’s Instagram account at http://instagram.com/ukun
Read more about UNGA
Find out more about the 69th session of the United Nations General Assembly on the UN website.
Published: 22 September 2014
Updated: 27 September 2014
- Added translation
- Updated with latest news.
- Updated with new content
- Keep up to date with the latest from the UK delegation at UNGA on our Storify: https://storify.com/number10gov/united-nations-general-assembly-2014.
- Latest news: UK will work with business to tackle deforestation in developing countries
- First published.