Tobias Ellwood was appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Ministry of Defence on 14 June 2017. Tobias served as Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office from July 2014 to June 2017. He was elected Conservative MP for Bournemouth East in May 2005.
Tobias was educated in Bonn and Vienna when his parents were overseas as members of the United Nations. He returned to attend Loughborough University and subsequently completed an MBA at City University Business School. He also completed the senior executive course in National and International Studies at the Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University.
Career outside politics
Tobias was in the Royal Green Jackets from 1991 to 1996, and served in Northern Ireland, Cyprus, Kuwait, Germany, Gibraltar and Bosnia. He left the Army at the rank of Captain and is a current Army Reservist. Tobias was a senior business development manager with the London Stock Exchange for two years, and then with Allen and Overy in a senior role.
Tobias is married to Hannah, and he has two young sons. He is a keen sportsman, a qualified pilot and an Eagle Scout.
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State and Minister for Defence People and Veterans
The minister is responsible for defence people and veterans
- civilian and service personnel policy
- veterans policy including resettlement, transition, charities and Veterans Board
- Armed Forces People Programme
- mental Health
- DIO better defence estate
- armed forces pay, pensions and compensation
- Armed Forces Covenant
- service justice
- welfare and service families
- youth and cadets
- security and safety including vetting (non-operations)
- inquiries and inquests (operations and non-operations)
- environment and sustainability
- equality, diversity and inclusion
Previous roles in government
- Minister praises work of organisations helping veterans into new careers
- Mastercard and MOD join forces to champion employment of ex service personnel
- Armed Forces Covenant Annual Report outlines stepped up support for military community
- Rehabilitated veterans and microplastics clean-up receive military conservation award
- MOD awards £160m contract to prepare RAF Lakenheath for US F-35s
- First ever UK-wide veterans strategy launched
- MOD sets out vision to diversify supply base
- Post Office and MOD agree new partnership on veterans employment
- Defence Minister praises First World War heroes at reburial service
- Defence Minister teams up with with international counterparts to improve support for veterans