Customs Declaration Services programme
- HM Revenue & Customs
- Part of:
- Import and export: customs declarations, duties and tariffs
- First published:
- 7 March 2014
Changes to legislation means the handling system for imports and exports needs to change. Find out about the Customs Declaration Services programme.
If you import or export goods you, or an agent acting on your behalf, will already use the Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) service to process the required declarations for goods entering and leaving the UK/EU through ports and airports, calculate and pay the correct duty and taxes and complete customs information electronically.
Future process and procedure changes to European Union (EU) legislation under the Union Customs Code (UCC) cannot easily or cost-effectively be accommodated within the existing CHIEF service. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is therefore planning to replace the current CHIEF service.
This new service will need to:
- identify and collect the right duties and taxes
- release goods through inter-operation with port and airport inventory systems
- allow frontier and inland freight controls within the UK to be used by the nominated agency or authority
- electronically process all the required customs declarations
- record trade and transport statistics
- accommodate the UCC changes
HMRC is looking at other changes needed under the Union Customs Code and their EU wide implications.
More information will be added to this page as the programme to replace CHIEF moves on.
Published: 7 March 2014