How to subscribe or check if you have access to the Customs Declaration Service.
If you are unable to migrate you can ask to continue to use Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) from 1 October 2022
Subscribing your Government Gateway user ID to the Customs Declaration Service will allow you to do things such as:
- submit import and export declarations using software
- get your postponed import VAT statements or get your import VAT certificates so you can complete your VAT return
- pay Customs Duty and import VAT
How to subscribe
You’ll need the Government Gateway user ID and password that you use for:
- your business or organisation
- yourself, if you’re applying as an individual
If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you start.
You cannot use an agent Government Gateway user ID.
You’ll need to tell us:
- your Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number that starts with GB
- Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) — find your UTR if you do not know it
- the address for your business that we hold on our customs records
- National Insurance number (if you’re an individual or sole trader)
- the date you started your business
Your EORI number and Customs Declaration Service accounts will be linked to your Government Gateway. You cannot apply for more than one EORI number using your Government Gateway account.
Online services may be slow during busy times. Check if there are any problems with this service.
After you’ve subscribed
You’ll get access within either:
- 2 hours
- 5 working days (if HMRC needs to make more checks)
You’ll then be able to sign in with your Government Gateway user ID and password to use any of the following Customs Declaration Service services:
- your own purchased customs software for Customs Declaration Service import and export declarations
- use a cash account for Customs Declaration Service declarations
- get your postponed import VAT statement
- get your import VAT and duty adjustment statements
- check how to pay duties and VAT on imports
- set up a Direct Debit for a duty deferment account
- upload documents and get messages about customs declarations
- manage your email address for Customs Declaration Service
Add a team member
If you need others in your business to use your subscription (and the services it gives access to) you can add a team member when using your business tax account.
You’ll be able to control what each team member can access.
Help and Support
If you have any general questions about the Customs Declaration Service, contact imports and exports: general enquiries.