Feed-in tariffs: get money for generating your own electricity

How to apply

Your installation must have a peak output of no more than 5 megawatts (MW) or 2 kilowatts (kW) if you use micro-combined heat and power technology.

Technologies covered are:

  • solar photovoltaic (PV) panels
  • wind turbines
  • hydro turbines
  • anaerobic digestion (biogas energy)
  • micro combined heat and power (micro-CHP)

Before you apply

Do a home energy check or get a Green Deal Assessment to make sure your home is as energy efficient as possible.

You’ll get an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) which is used to work out your feed-in tariff (FIT) rate.

Choose the technology you want and get it installed by a certified installer. You’ll usually need to get a certificate from your installer confirming that it meets Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) standards.

Sending your application

Contact a registered electricity supplier to find out how to apply, as the application process varies for different suppliers.

If your application is successful, you can choose to receive payments from your current energy supplier or from a different one.

There have been changes to the FIT scheme that might affect you if you applied after 14 January 2016. Sending an application does not guarantee you’ll get support.