Apply to open a special or alternative provision free school
Guidance, assessment criteria and bid forms for local authorities seeking to establish new special or alternative provision free schools.
Independent school registration (England and Wales)
You must register with the Department for Education or Welsh government if you run an independent school offering full time education
Model articles of association for academy trusts
Template documents with standard articles of association for different types of academy trust.
Academy and free school funding agreement: single academy trust
Model funding agreement for single academy trusts establishing new academies and free schools.
Academy and free school funding agreement: multi-academy trust
Model funding agreement for multi-academy trusts establishing new academies and free schools.
Guidance and regulation
Setting up a free school
Set up a free school - find out what you need to do and how to increase your chance of success
- Academies: information for new openers
News and communications
Policy and engagement
- 2010 to 2015 government policy: academies and free schools
- Academy invests in technology to transform teaching and learning
- New school proposals
- Open academies and academy projects in development
- Free schools: open schools and successful applications
- Lancashire and West Yorkshire Headteacher Board
- West Midlands Headteacher Board