Beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what this means
How maintained schools can apply to convert to academy status.
If you are the headteacher or chair of governors of a local-authority-maintained school converting to an academy, you must complete the following steps.
- 1. Before you apply How to prepare for your school's application to convert to an academy.
- 2. Apply to convert Links to the academy conversion application forms, and information about notifying your local authority.
- 3. Set up or join an academy trust What actions to take following approval of your academy conversion application.
- 4. Transfer responsibilities to the academy trust What responsibilities you should transfer to your academy trust as part of your school's conversion to academy status.
- 5. Prepare to open as an academy What final preparations you should complete before your school can open as an academy.
- 6. Open as an academy What actions you should take in the first few months after your school opens as an academy.