Beta This part of GOV.UK is being rebuilt – find out what this means
How maintained schools can apply to convert to academy status.
If you are the headteacher or chair of governors of a maintained school converting to an academy, you must complete the following steps.
- 1. Before you apply How to prepare for your school's application to convert to an academy.
- 2. Apply to convert What to provide in your academy conversion application form, and information about notifying your local authority.
- 3. Prepare for conversion What actions you should take while DfE assesses your academy conversion application.
- 4. Transfer responsibilities to the academy trust What responsibilities you should transfer to your academy trust as part of your school's conversion to academy status.
- 5. Prepare to reopen as an academy What final preparations you should complete before your school can reopen as an academy.
- 6. Reopen as an academy What actions you should take in the first few months after your school reopens as an academy.