Template documents with standard articles of association for different types of academy trust.
These model articles of association are for:
- local-authority-maintained schools converting to academy status
- existing trusts updating their articles of association
- proposer groups seeking to set up new trusts and their legal advisers
You can use them for single- and multi-academy trusts.
The articles set out the charitable purpose of the trust and its governance structure. This includes information about:
- what the trust exists to do
- appointing and removing trust members and trustees
- establishing committees and local governing bodies
The articles also provide a framework for trusts to act within company and charity law.
You must agree the articles of association for your trust with DfE before we sign your funding agreement.
If you’re converting to an academy, see also guidance about setting up or joining an academy trust as part of the academy conversion process.
Model articles of association for church academy trusts are also available.
If you’re proposing a new free school, see also guidance about applying to set up a free school.
More information about effective governance is available in the governance handbook.