Guidance on the roles and duties of governing boards, and advice on the skills, knowledge and behaviours they need to be effective.
These guides are for:
- governing bodies in local-authority-maintained schools
- boards of trustees in academies
- others involved in school governance, such as sponsors, foundations and dioceses
- organisations that help governing boards be more effective, such as governance training providers
- anyone providing clerking services to a governing board
The ‘Governance handbook’ explains:
- governing boards’ roles and functions
- their legal duties
- where they can find support
- the main features of effective governance
The ‘Competency framework for governance’ sets out the knowledge, skills and behaviours that school and academy governing boards need to be effective.
The ‘Competency framework for clerking sets out the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to provide professional clerking to school and academy governing boards.
The ‘Statutory policies for schools’ page outlines the policies and other documents school governing bodies are legally required to have.