Beta This is a test version of the layout of this page. Take the survey to help us improve it
Constitution of governing bodies of maintained schools
Statutory guidance setting out the arrangements for the constitution of governing bodies of all local-authority-maintained schools.
This statutory guidance is for:
- governing bodies
- local authorities
- the description of the different categories of governor
- priorities in deciding the constitution and membership of the governing body
- the skills governing bodies need
- governor elections
- publication of governors’ details and the register of interests
- terms of office
- removal and disqualification of governors
- instruments of government (setting out the governance structure of the governing body)
- all aspects of the School Governance (Constitution) (England) Regulations 2012
The guidance contains a table showing the constitution of governing bodies by category of governor (annex B).
There is also a model instrument of government (annex C).
Statutory guidance sets out what schools must do to comply with the law. You should follow the guidance unless you have a very good reason not to.