Statutory guidance setting out the arrangements for the constitution of governing bodies of all local-authority-maintained schools.
This statutory guidance is for:
- governing bodies
- local authorities
- the description of the different categories of governor
- priorities in deciding the constitution and membership of the governing body
- the skills governing bodies need
- governor elections
- publication of governors’ details and the register of interests
- terms of office
- removal and disqualification of governors
- instruments of government (setting out the governance structure of the governing body)
- all aspects of the School Governance (Constitution) (England) Regulations 2012
The guidance contains a table showing the constitution of governing bodies by category of governor (annex B).
There is also a model instrument of government (annex C).
Statutory guidance sets out what schools must do to comply with the law. You should follow the guidance unless you have a very good reason not to.