Constitution of governing bodies of maintained schools
Statutory guidance setting out the arrangements for the constitution of governing bodies of all local-authority-maintained schools.
This statutory guidance is for:
- governing bodies
- local authorities
- the description of the different categories of governor
- priorities in deciding the constitution and membership of the governing body
- the skills governing bodies need
- governor elections
- publication of governors’ details and the register of interests
- terms of office
- removal and disqualification of governors
- instruments of government (setting out the governance structure of the governing body)
- all aspects of the School Governance (Constitution) (England) Regulations 2012
The guidance contains a table showing the constitution of governing bodies by category of governor (annex B).
There is also a model instrument of government (annex C).
Statutory guidance sets out what schools must do to comply with the law. You should follow the guidance unless you have a very good reason not to.
Published: 15 May 2014
Updated: 7 October 2016
- Updated to include changes to law, including Disclosure and Barring Service checks and supplying information to the Secretary of State about those involved in governance. Also clarified information on governors’ access to training and parent governors.
- Replaced statutory guidance document to revise information on governing bodies; governors; 2007 constitution regulations; the model instrument of government.
- Updated information about terms of office, the publication of information about governors and the publication of a register of interests.
- First published.