Departmental advice on the policies and documents that governing bodies and proprietors of schools are required to have by law.
Departmental advice for:
- local authorities
- governing bodies
It applies to:
- maintained schools
- academies and free schools
- pupil referral units
- non-maintained special schools
- independent schools
- sixth-form colleges
- further education colleges
Governing bodies and proprietors are required to hold each of these policies and other documents, as outlined, however:
- the drafting of school policies can be delegated to any member of school staff
- there is no requirement for all policies to be reviewed annually
- not all policies need to be signed off by the full governing body
The advice makes clear how often each policy must be reviewed and also shows the level of approval required, where this is prescribed in regulations.
There are instances where statutory guidance states that policies and procedures should be in place. Although this is not the same as a legal requirement, the list makes clear the policies referenced in statutory guidance.
Academies and free schools have greater freedoms than maintained schools in relation to school policies and other documents. Where relevant, arrangements applying to these schools are noted against each entry.
We would welcome any comments or feedback you may have on this document by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.