Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for adults

4. Your DLA claim

You can keep getting DLA if you’re under 16 or you were born on or before 8 April 1948.

If you’re already claiming, you’ll continue to get DLA until the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) writes to tell you when your DLA will end and invites you to apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP).

Applying for PIP

You’ll get a letter inviting you to apply for PIP. You must apply within 28 days from the date on the letter.

Your DLA will end either:

  • when you decide not to apply
  • at least 28 days after DWP make a decision about your PIP claim

You don’t need to do anything until you get the letter, unless there’s a change in how your illness or disability affects you.

If you have a fixed period DLA award, contact the Disability Service Centre if you haven’t got a letter inviting you to apply for PIP 28 days before your DLA is due to end.

Change of circumstances

You must contact the Disability Service Centre if your circumstances change, as this can affect how much DLA you get. For example:

  • the level of help you need or your condition changes
  • you go into hospital or a care home for more than 4 weeks
  • you go abroad for more than 13 weeks
  • you’re imprisoned or held in detention

You must also contact the centre if:

  • you change your name, address or bank details
  • you want to stop receiving your benefit
  • your doctor’s details change

You could get a £50 fine and have to repay overpaid benefits if you don’t report changes and are overpaid as a result.

If you disagree with a decision

You can challenge a decision about your claim. This is called asking for ‘mandatory reconsideration’.