How much will be paid
£77 per square metre.
Where the item is available
Where to use this item
Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier
- in areas targeted for the reduction of water pollution from agriculture
- with support from a Catchment Sensitive Farming (CSF) officer
Where this item cannot be used
- within 10m of a watercourse
- within 50m of a spring, borehole or well
- within 250m of a borehole used for food production
- on historic or archaeological features or areas of wildlife value identified on the Farm Environment Record (FER), the Environmental Information Map or the HEFER
- without relevant advice, consents or waste management licence from the Environment Agency (EA)
How this item will benefit the environment
A lined biobed will treat the pesticide residues that arise from pesticide handling activities. This will help prevent pesticides from entering drains or water bodies, which will help reduce the risk of water pollution.
- meet relevant British Standards - examine copies of the most up-to-date standards for guidance
- meet the requirements of the T32 waste exemption Biobed
- follow the requirements as set out in RP24 – Lined biobed plus pesticide loading and washdown area under Biobed
- treat more than 15,000 litres of pesticide washings (excluding rainfall) in any 12 month period
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Mid Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs of the site during the different stages of construction or contracts, invoices or other documents confirming the technical specification for the completed works
- photographs of the completed works in place and installed
Before applying, applicants must seek advice from the EA and obtain any consent that may be required to carry out the planned work. Applicants must check whether they are in a Groundwater Source Protection Zone 1 area.
Applicants will have to send the following with their application:
- photographs of the existing site
- a copy of any advice, permit or consent received from the EA
- documents associated with the exemption for the treatment of waste in a biobed or biofilter (exemption T32), issued by the EA
- written support from a CSF officer
Related Mid Tier items
This item can be used on the same area as RP27 - Sprayer or applicator load and washdown area.
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this item
The following section gives advice on carrying out this item successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this item.
How to choose a location
The biobed should be constructed in an area set aside for pesticide loading and washing operations, and where there is no other traffic.
It can be constructed on the same area as the following features, even though they are ineligible for the Basic Payment Scheme:
- areas of land, or farm buildings, not used for production
How to maintain the biobed
Add a fresh, pre-composted biomix to the biobed every year to maintain 1m depth. Replace the biomix every 5 years. A waste exemption U10 will be required to spread the biomix. Hazardous waste must not be treated in the biobed or biofilter.
What to do with pesticide washings
The pesticide washings collected in the holding tank should be pumped before the tank reaches capacity. Use a pump float switch to dispose of the washings (a T32 exemption will be required for this) or to transfer them to a biobed or biofilter for treatment.
More information about pesticide handling areas and biobeds, including sizing and volume calculations, is available from the Voluntary Initiative
Catchment Sensitive Farming (CSF) operates in parts of the country where there are water quality issues linked to farming. The scheme provides farmers with free advice and training. See guidance for further information on CSF support