How much will be paid
£100 per cubic metre.
Where to use this item
Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier
- in areas targeted for the reduction of water pollution from agriculture
- with support from a Catchment Sensitive Farming officer
Where this item cannot be used
- without relevant advice or permission from the Local Planning Authority
- on historic or archaeological features
How this item will benefit the environment
The above ground storage tank will collect and contain rainwater and help to keep clean and dirty water separate. This will provide free clean water, which may be suitable to use for a number of tasks around the farm such as yard washing, instead of wasting potable water supplies.
- agree with your CSF officer where to install the tank and pump
- install a new above-ground storage tank on hardstanding or concrete following the
- ensure that all work meets relevant British Standards - examine copies of the most up-to-date standards for guidance
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Mid Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs of the completed work
Before applying, applicants must seek advice from the Local Planning Authority to check if consent is required to carry out the planned work.
Applicants will have to send the following with their application:
- a copy of any advice or consent received from the Local Planning Authority
- photographs of the existing site
- written support from a CSF officer
This item can be used on the same area as the following items:
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this item
The following section gives advice on carrying out this item successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this item.
Installing the storage tank
There are no generic specifications for above-ground storage tanks since they are pre-made tanks supplied as fit for purpose, but the work normally includes:
- installing the tank and pump
- creating a hardstanding or concrete base for the tank
- installing connecting pipework
Throughout the work make sure that foul or dirty water does not contaminate the clean water collected.
Applicants must also check if restrictions apply to using harvested rainwater in your supply chain. Contact the farm assurance scheme and purchasers of produce.
Historic and archaeological features
- get listed building consent if used close to a historic farmstead or listed building, as this item may have negative effects on it
- consider the effect of the item on the fabric and setting of the historic buildings, as well as the nature and historic value of the existing surfaces
This item it not intended to be used for collecting dirty water, effluents and slurries.
Guidance on implementing a water management plan.
Guidance about the effective use of water on dairy farms.
Catchment Sensitive Farming (CSF) operates in parts of the country where there are water quality issues linked to farming. The scheme provides farmers with free advice and training. See guidance for further information on CSF support.
See the Mid Tier manual or Higher Tier manual to find out more about the scheme and how to apply.