Bristol Water plc price determination
- Competition and Markets Authority
- 4 March 2015
- Last updated:
- 21 October 2015, see all updates
- 4 March 2015
- 6 October 2015
- Case type:
- Regulatory references and appeals
- Case state:
- Market sector:
- Regulatory references and appeals - final determination
Ofwat referred an appeal from Bristol Water plc to the CMA for a water price determination.
- Published on 12 August 2015, as required by Rule 7 of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Rules of Procedure for Merger, Market and Special Reference Groups. This revised timetable replaces the one published on 31 July 2015. Any revisions made to the timetable will be published on this website.
|3 November 2015||Deadline for determination to be sent by CMA to Ofwat|
|7 August 2015||Final deadline for representations|
|Early August 2015||Further main party hearings|
|10 July 2015||Publish provisional findings|
|15 June 2015||Deadline for representations before provisional findings|
|June 2015||Main party hearings|
|13 April 2015||Deadline for Bristol Water’s response to Ofwat’s reply|
|25 March 2015||Deadline for Ofwat’s reply to Bristol Water’s submission|
|11 March 2015||Deadline for submission from Bristol Water|
|4 March 2015||Reference made|
6 October 2015: Bristol Water will have to reduce the prices it charges customers to below those in its business plan.
- Summary of report (6.10.15)
- Final report (PDF, 3.92 Mb) (21.10.15)
- Appendices 1.1 to 4.3 (PDF, 3.32 Mb) (21.10.15)
- Appendices 5.1 to 11.1 and glossary (PDF, 3.47 Mb) (21.10.15)
- Press release: CMA confirms Bristol Water prices set to fall (6.10.15)
Extension of price determination period
- Ofwat notice of extension (11.8.15)
Responses to provisional findings
Bristol Water (PDF, 4.4Mb) (31.7.15)
- Bristol Water - Appendices (31.7.15)
- Consumer Council for Water (31.7.15)
- Local Engagement Forum (31.7.15)
- Ofwat (PDF, 1.4Mb) (31.7.15)
- Peter Weeks (31.7.15)
- South West Water Limited (31.7.15)
- Thames Water Utilities Limited (PDF, 2.4Mb) (31.7.15)
10 July 2015: The CMA has provisionally found Bristol Water should reduce the prices it charges customers until 2020 to below those in the company’s business plan. The consultation has now closed.
- Provisional findings report (PDF, 4.19Mb) (10.7.15)
- Appendices and Glossary (PDF, 4.65Mb) (10.7.15)
- Summary of provisional findings (10.7.15)
- Press release: Bristol Water prices set to fall after CMA ruling (10.7.15)
Third party hearing summaries
Third party initial submissions
- Anglian Water Services Limited (15.4.15)
- Consumer Council for Water (15.4.15)
- Drinking Water Inspectorate (15.4.15)
- Dŵr Cymru Welsh Water (21.5.15)
- Local Engagement Forum (21.4.15)
- Peter Weeks (2.6.15)
- South West Water Limited (PDF, 3Mb) (23.6.15)
- Wessex Water Services Ltd (15.4.15)
Main party submissions
- Bristol Water response to Ofwat’s reply to its statement of case (PDF, 4Mb) (16.4.15)
- Ofwat reply to Bristol Water’s statement of case (8.4.15)
- Bristol Water statement of case sections 1 to 9 (PDF, 8Mb) and sections 10 to 17 and appendices (PDF, 6Mb) (25.3.15)
- Ofwat submission (5.3.15)
Inquiry group appointed
11 March 2015: The CMA has appointed the inquiry group.
Notice of reference
- Notice of reference (4.3.15)
4 March 2015: Ofwat (The Water Services Regulation Authority) has referred an appeal from Bristol Water to the CMA for determination. This follows Bristol Water’s decision to reject Ofwat’s final determination on water price limits for the period 2015 to 2020.
- News story: Ofwat refers Bristol Water appeal (4.3.15)
Published: 4 March 2015
Updated: 21 October 2015
Opened: 4 March 2015
Closed: 6 October 2015
- Full final determination report published.
- Summary of final determination published.
- Notice of extension published.
- Timetable updated and responses to provisional findings published.
- Full provisional findings report published.
- Summary of provisional findings published.
- Third party submission published.
- Third party initial submissions and hearing summaries published.
- Timetable updated.
- Third party initial submission published.
- Main party submission published.
- Initial submissions published.
- Reply to statement of case published.
- Timetable and submission published. Disclosures of interest updated.
- Inquiry group appointed.
- Main party submission added.
- First published.
Case type: Regulatory references and appeals
Case state: Closed
Market sector: Utilities