3. Stop your Child Benefit

You can either fill in the online form or contact the Child Benefit Office by phone or post to stop your Child Benefit.

Telephone: 0300 200 3100
Textphone: 0300 200 3103
Calling from abroad: +44 (0)161 210 3086
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday, 8am to 4pm
Find out about call charges

Child Benefit Office
PO Box 1
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE88 1AA

Only the person entitled to receive the benefit, their appointee or authorised agent can stop the payments.

You can’t stop your Child Benefit if you’re using it to pay back an overpayment (or to pay back certain other benefits from another country).

Responsibilities after your Child Benefit stops

You must pay any tax charge owed for each tax year up to the date your Child Benefit stops.

Use the Child Benefit tax calculator to work out what you owe each tax year and when it’s due.

Even after your payments stop, you must report any changes in your family life that affect your entitlement to Child Benefit.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.