4. Restart your Child Benefit
You can restart your Child Benefit if:
- you’ve previously stopped it because of the tax charge
- you still qualify for Child Benefit
To restart your Child Benefit, either:
- fill in an online form - you’ll need to set up a Government Gateway account if you don’t have one
- contact the Child Benefit Office
Payments usually start again the Monday after your request is received. The Child Benefit Office will write telling you how much backdated Child Benefit you’ll get (if any).
Responsibilities after your Child Benefit restarts
You (or your partner) will have to pay any tax charge on the benefit received from the restart date if your income is over £50,000.
You must report any changes to your family life that affect your Child Benefit.
Use the Child Benefit tax calculator to work out if you’re affected by the tax charge.