Additional detailed guidance from government departments

  • Building regulations: appeals and determinations

    Applications for a Secretary of State decision on whether proposed plans are within regulations, appeals against refused applications and results of previous rulings.

  • Byelaws

    How local councils can apply to have byelaws, including model ones, confirmed by the Secretary of State.

  • Development of the arts, sport and heritage for local communities

    Guidance and relevant data for local authorities, private investors and grant-making bodies.

  • Fire safety determinations

    How to comply with the Fire Safety Order 2005 and listings of decisions on how fire precautions should be implemented in non-domestic properties.

  • Freehold and leasehold property

    Find out about annual rentcharges for freehold properties, how to pay your share and buying out your rentcharge.

  • Local government finance

    Finance guidance letters for local councils.

  • Party walls

    How to prevent and resolve disputes about building work on shared walls, boundaries and excavation near buildings.

  • Planning officer guidance

    Guidance letters on planning and changes to building regulations policy to chief planning officers and local authorities in England.

  • Public sector land use

    Your right to request to use unused or underused land.

  • Tenancies and leases

    How to regain possession of an assured shorthold tenancy property and forms to change a tenancy agreement; leases for temporary use of empty town centre retail buildings.