How to claim

You can claim by either:

There is a different process for Attendance Allowance in Northern Ireland.

Send the completed form to:

Freepost DWP Attendance Allowance

You do not need a postcode or a stamp. The form comes with notes telling you how to fill it in.

Attendance Allowance helpline
Telephone: 0800 731 0122
Textphone: 0800 731 0317
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 731 0122
British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges

When you’ll be paid

If you’re awarded Attendance Allowance, it can be paid from the start of your claim. It cannot be backdated.

If you print and post the form, your claim will start on the date the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) receives it.

If you call the helpline to request a form, your claim will start on the date of your call (if you return the form within 6 weeks).

After you’ve applied, you’ll get a text or letter within 3 weeks that explains how long it’ll take to get a decision. Once the decision has been made, you’ll get a letter explaining the outcome. If you’ve been awarded Attendance Allowance, this will tell you when you’ll get your first payment.

If you might have 12 months or less to live

You can get Attendance Allowance more quickly if a medical professional has said you might have 12 months or less to live. This is sometimes called ‘special rules’.

You must complete an Attendance Allowance claim form. You should also ask a doctor or medical professional for form SR1 - they’ll either fill it in and give the form to you or send it directly to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

You can do this on behalf of someone else without their permission. The letter about the money awarded will not mention ‘special rules’.

If you disagree with a decision

You can challenge a decision about your claim. This is called asking for mandatory reconsideration.


You can complain to DWP if you’re unhappy with the service you’ve received.