The British High Commission in New Zealand maintains and develops relations between the UK and New Zealand.

Our two offices in Wellington and Auckland work together to support the full range of British interests in New Zealand, building Britain’s prosperity through increased trade and investment in open markets and supporting British nationals who visit and live in New Zealand through our consular services answering over 3,000 enquiries yearly. We are also here to support and protect UK interests in Pitcairn Island and Samoa.

Find out more on our UK and New Zealand news page. We provide services to British nationals living in and visiting New Zealand.You can access UK government services while in New Zealand.

Urgent assistance

British nationals who urgently need consular assistance outside normal office hours should call their nearest consulate (see below) and follow the prompts for emergency assistance.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

Apply online for an emergency travel document

If the person needing the emergency travel document is under 16, a parent or guardian should apply on their behalf.

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

If you are travelling in more than 3 weeks, check if you can get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are not a British citizen or have not had a British passport before

If you’re not sure, check if you’re a British citizen

If you’re not a British citizen but think you may be eligible, contact us to apply for an emergency travel document.

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at your nearest British High Commission or consulate.

Book an appointment for an emergency travel document in Auckland

Book an appointment for an emergency travel document in Wellington.

Other consular services

Notarial services

Our high commission and consulate in New Zealand are unable to carry out notarial acts under the Commissioner of Oaths Act 1889, and on instruction from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in London. This includes certifying documents as true copies of originals, administering oaths or taking affidavits. For these or other notarial acts, or the legalising of documents, please contact a notary public.

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services, see the list of services we provide.

We also provide services in Auckland.

Our people

Ms Laura Clarke

Ms Laura Clarke

British High Commissioner to New Zealand

Contact us

British High Commission New Zealand

British High Commission
44 Hill Street

Wellington 6011
New Zealand

Access and opening times

British Consulate-General Auckland

British Consulate-General Auckland
Level 17
151 Queen Street 1142
New Zealand

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 1.00pm

Access and opening times