The British Consulate General represents the UK government in Auckland and provides services to British nationals.

We also provide services at the British High Commission in Wellington.

Check our opening hours

Services for British nationals

Urgent assistance

If you’re in New Zealand and you urgently need help (eg if you’ve been attacked, arrested or lost your passport), call +64 (0) 9 303 2973. If you’re in the UK and concerned about a British national in New Zealand, call 020 7008 1500.

Get or renew a passport

The British Consulate General can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you’re due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

  • are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

  • over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at British Consulate General in Auckland.

Travel advice: For information and advice on travelling to New Zealand, see travel advice for New Zealand.

Get a visa

The British Consulate General can’t help with visa enquiries.

If you’re not a British national, you may need a visa to travel to the UK. Check if you need a UK visa.

If you’re a British national travelling abroad and need to apply for a visa to visit a particular country or check if you need a visa, see the entry requirements on our foreign travel advice for the country you want to visit.

For more information on visas, see UK visas and immigration.

British citizenship

All applications for naturalisation, registration or renunciation of British citizenship are handled by the UK Home Office . Our consulates cannot handle individual enquiries about citizenship or nationality.

Consular registration

You don’t need to register with your nearest consulate. Please read and subscribe to updates on our travel advice. You can also find us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

In the event of a crisis, we will update you via these social media channels.

Marriage and civil partnerships

For information on getting married in New Zealand, see getting married abroad.

Register a birth or death

Find out how to register a birth or register a death in New Zealand. You can’t register a birth or death at the Consulate General or High Commission.

UK birth/death/marriage certificates

You must order these direct from the UK: see how to order a birth/death/marriage certificate.

Notice of intended marriage

British nationals who live in New Zealand and want to marry in another country will need to go to that country to post notice of their marriage there. See getting married abroad.

Bereavement support

If you’re in the country where the death occurred, contact us. If you’re in the UK and hear of the death of a relative from a third party, you should contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 020 7008 1500.

Read our guidance on coping with death abroad

Support if you’ve been arrested

We’ll do all we can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you’ve been detained or arrested, and will give you a prisoner pack with information for British prisoners in New Zealand. We cannot get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings.

Notarial services

Our consulates in New Zealand are unable to carry out notarial acts under the Commissioner of Oaths Act 1889, and on instruction from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office in London. This includes certifying documents as true copies of originals, administering oaths or taking affidavits. For these or other notarial acts, or the legalising of documents, please contact a notary public.

Legalisation services

The consulate does not provide legalisation services.

Ask the UK government to get a UK document legalised(certified as genuine).

List of lawyers

Use our list of lawyers if you need help with official transactions in New Zealand. Please note that inclusion in this list does not constitute official endorsement by the British Consulate General or the UK government.

Local service provider lists

We provide lists of:

Please note that inclusion in these lists does not constitute official endorsement by the British Consulate General or the UK government.

How else we can help

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, missing people and kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters or other crises abroad

For more information on the services we provide, see Support for British nationals abroad: A guide.

For general information about living in New Zealand see living in New Zealand

What our consulates cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • help you enter a country, for example, if you don’t have a visa or your passport is not valid
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers.
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you’ll have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in New Zealand

Contact us

British Consulate General Auckland

Level 17
151 Queen Street

Auckland 1142
New Zealand

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday 9.00am to 1.00pm

Access and opening times

Corporate information