About British High Commission New Zealand
The British Government is keen to ensure that buildings and services are fully accessible to disabled members of the public. Wherever possible, we have made our buildings and services accessible. Access is controlled by security staff and all visitors are required to be cleared by security before being allowed access into the High Commission building. To assist disabled visitors, we have set out below details of disabled access at this High Commission.
General physical access - public areas
- all of our entrances are clear and unobstructed. A guard is available if necessary to open doors for you. When visit
- there are stairs but there is access to the consular waiting area via an alternative route without stairs. Lifts to all floors are
- disabled toilet access is available on the ground floor
- parking is available if arranged prior to your visit.
- all floor coverings are safe and even
- there are no handrails available across courtyard
- the entrance area is well lit and our signage is clear.
- there are no phone in public areas, and mobile phones, laptops and other similar equipment will not be allowed on the premises, unless arranged prior to your visit.
For visually impaired visitors
- there are no braille signs, but assistance can be given for the reading of material
- guide dogs are welcome
For hearing impaired visitors
- there are amplifiers installed in the consular and reception areas
- there are no minicom or textphones
- there is currently no member of staff trained in BSL
- interpretation is available by arrangement
- hearing dogs are welcome
Public holidays 2023
The High Commission is closed on the following dates in 2023:
- Monday 2 January, Day after New Year’s Day
- Tuesday 3 January, New Year’s Day (substitute Day)
- Monday 23 January, Wellington Anniversary Day
- Monday 6 February, Waitangi Day
- Friday 7 April, Good Friday
- Monday 10 April, Easter Monday
- Tuesday 25 April, ANZAC Day
- Monday 29 May, Spring Bank Holiday
- Monday 5 June, Queen’s Birthday
- Friday 14 July, Matariki Public Holiday
- Monday 28 August, Summer Bank Holiday
- Monday 23 October, Labour Day
- Friday 22 December, Privilege Day (in lieu of UK early May bank holiday)
- Monday 25 December, Christmas Day
- Tuesday 26 December, Boxing Day
If you visit the British High Commission Wellington see our privacy notice for visitors which explains how we will process your data for security and public health management reasons.