About us

The British Embassy in Beijing maintains and develops relations between the UK and China.

Find out more on our UK and China news page. We provide services to British nationals living in and visiting China. You can access UK government services while in China.

Our work covers a range of issues including bolstering global security, increasing mutual economic prosperity, establishing stronger people-to-people ties and supporting British nationals in China.

Urgent assistance

If you’re travelling in China, see our China travel advice about coronavirus (COVID-19).

If you’re in China and you need advice which is not covered by reading our travel advice then you can contact us online

If you’re in China and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked, arrested or someone has died), call +86 10 8529 6600.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

Before you are able to leave China with an ETD you will need to obtain an Exit Visa from your local Public Security Bureau’s (PSB) Entry and Exit Division. This may take up to 10 working days. Consular staff can direct you to the nearest PSB.

Please note that we are unable to issue ETDs if requested for the following reasons:

  • you wish to renew your Chinese residence permit – ETDs are for travel purposes only
  • your normal passport is with the local PSB to renew your Chinese residence permit – the Chinese authorities will not permit you to hold more than one visa at the same time

Apply online for an emergency travel document

If the person needing the emergency travel document is under 16, a parent or guardian should apply on their behalf.

If you are travelling in more than 3 weeks, check if you can get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are not a British citizen or have not had a British passport before

If you’re not sure, check if you’re a British citizen

If you’re not a British citizen but think you may be eligible, contact us to apply for an emergency travel document.

Other consular services

Notarial and documentary services

We may be able to offer notarial services, including administering an oath, affirmation or statutory declaration, making a certified copy of a document, and preparing a document in English or Chinese. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in China.

We also provide services in:

Development work in China

The UK and China work together on common development objectives such as helping poor countries address pandemics, recovery following natural disasters and building stronger economies in Africa.

Find out more in the country profile for Asia Regional.