The British Consulate-General in Hong Kong maintains and develops relations between the UK and Hong Kong.

We are here to support and protect UK interests in Hong Kong and Macao. The Consulate-General was officially opened on 1 July 1997, following the handover of Hong Kong to the People’s Republic of China.

Find out more on our UK and Hong Kong news page. We provide services to British nationals living in and visiting Hong Kong and Macao. You can access UK government services while in Hong Kong.

Urgent assistance

If you’re travelling in Hong Kong, see our Hong Kong Travel Advice about coronavirus (COVID-19).

See also our coronavirus travel advice for all our latest guidance on travel during coronavirus.

If you’re in Hong Kong or Macao and you need advice which is not covered by reading our travel advice then you can contact us online

If you’re in Hong Kong or Macao and you need urgent help (for example, you’ve been attacked, arrested or someone has died), call +852 2901 3000.

We are available 24/7, even on public holidays. If you are in need of urgent assistance, please call +(852) 2901 3000, and select the option for ‘calling about an emergency involving a British National’ to speak to an officer.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

Apply online for an emergency travel document

If the person needing the emergency travel document is under 16, a parent or guardian should apply on their behalf.

An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country. Read what an emergency travel document does.

If you do not have a recent passport quality photo, we have a passport photo machine in the British Consulate-General’s consular section.

Please note we will only accept applications if you are travelling within 7 days from the date of your appointment and we will normally only issue an emergency travel document 1 day before travel unless a visa is required for the destination you are travelling to.

If you are travelling in more than 3 weeks, check if you can get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you live outside of Hong Kong but plan to give birth in Hong Kong please call our consular staff for advice concerning travel documents.

If you are not a British citizen or have not had a British passport before

If you’re not sure, check if you’re a British citizen

If you’re not a British citizen but think you may be eligible, contact us to apply for an emergency travel document.

Other consular services

Notarial and documentary services

We may be able to offer notarial services, including administering an oath, affirmation or statutory declaration, making a certified copy of a document, and preparing a document in English. See the full list of notarial and documentary services we provide.

Consular fees

We charge fees for some of our services. See the full list of consular fees in Hong Kong.

Our people

Brian Davidson CMG

Consul General to Hong Kong & Macao

Contact us

British Consulate-General Hong Kong

1 Supreme Court Road
Hong Kong
Hong Kong

+ (852) 2901 3000

+ (852) 2901 3204

Use our contact form for consular enquiries:

24/7 support is available by telephone for all routine enquiries and emergencies.
Please call +(852) 2901 3000.

Public access to the Consulate-General is by appointment only. Please visit

Access and opening times