Foreign travel advice

Hong Kong

Warnings and insurance

This travel advice covers the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR). For mainland China, see travel advice for China and for Macao SAR, see Macao travel advice.

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) provides advice about risks of travel to help British nationals make informed decisions. Find out more about FCDO travel advice

Dual Chinese-British nationality

Hong Kong does not recognise dual nationality. If you have both British and Chinese nationality, you may be treated as a Chinese citizen by local authorities, even if you enter Hong Kong on your British passport. If this is the case, the British Consulate-General may not be able to offer you consular help.    

If you have formally renounced Chinese citizenship, carry evidence that you have done so.

See guidance on nationality in China

Before you travel 

No travel can be guaranteed safe. Read all the advice in this guide and any specific travel advice that applies to you: 

Follow and contact FCDO travel on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. You can also sign up to get email notifications when this advice is updated. 

Travel insurance 

If you choose to travel, research your destinations and get appropriate travel insurance. Insurance should cover your itinerary, planned activities and expenses in an emergency.