The Honourable Peter Wilson CMG was appointed Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the Kingdom of the Netherlands in August 2017.
Prior to this, Peter Wilson was the Ambassador and Deputy Permanent Representative of the UK Mission to the UN, New York, He has served as Asia Pacific Director at the Foreign and Commonwealth office in London where he covered North and South East Asia, and Australasia from November 2010 and has also served as Director of Strategy for the FCO in 2010.
Ambassador Wilson’s postings have included service at the British Embassy in Beijing, China where he was Political Counsellor from 2007 to 2010 and Second Secretary, Commercial from 1995 to 1998. He has also been posted as Political Counsellor in Islamabad (2005 to 2006) and ran the European Parliament Team at the UK Representation to the European Union in Brussels from 1999 to 2002.
Ambassador Wilson was a member of the British Trade Commissioner Leon Brittan’s Cabinet in 1999. He was Head of the Strategic Policy Team for the FCO in London (2003 to 2005) and served as an Assistant Desk Officer, European Institutions at the FCO from 1992 to 1993.
He is fluent in Mandarin and French, and speaks some Portuguese, has a Masters in Public Administration from Harvard’s Kennedy School, and a Bachelors in Modern History from Oxford University.
Ambassador Wilson is married to Mónica Roma Wilson. They met during their time working for the UK and Portuguese Governments respectively, at the EU in Brussels. Mónica is a lawyer, specialising in international law. They have three children.
Social media links
British Ambassador to the Netherlands and UK Permanent Representative to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW)
The Ambassador represents Her Majesty The Queen and the UK government in the country to which they are appointed. They are responsible for the direction and work of the Embassy and its Consulates, including political work, trade and investment, press and cultural relations, and visa and consular services.
Ambassadors to multilateral missions are often referred to as ‘Permanent Representative
Previous roles in government
Deputy Permanent Representative, UK Mission to the UN, New York
- 2013 to 2017
- Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons: 89th Session of the Executive Council
- Minister for Europe statement: attempted hacking of the OPCW by Russian military intelligence
- 88th Executive Council session of the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons
- OPCW Executive Council meeting: 18 April update on the use of a nerve agent in Salisbury
- UK statement to the OPCW on the use of chemical weapons in Douma, Syria
- Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons 87th Executive Council session: 14 March update on the use of nerve agent in Salisbury, UK
- Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons 87th Executive Council session: statement on the Salisbury incident
- 22nd Conference of the States Parties to the Chemical Weapons Convention
- 56th Special Session of OPCW Executive Council
- 86th Session of the OPCW Executive Council