Recreational and commercial fishing vessel regulations, codes of practice, safety, equipment and training.


  1. Get a fishing vessel licence: vessels 10 metres or under

    Register a vessel, get a licence entitlement and convert it to a licence

  2. Commercial Inland Fishing Licence

    You need a licence to net for salmon and sea trout or fish for eels using nets, trawls or traps

See more services in this topic

Guidance and regulation

  1. MIN 575 ILO work in fishing convention medical certification grandfather rights
  2. Fishing certification and training
  3. MSN 1884 ILO work in fishing convention working time
  4. MSN 1871 Construction and safe operation fishing vessels under 15m
  5. MSN 1886 ILO work in fishing convention medical standards
See more guidance and regulation in this topic

News and communications

  1. Two fisherman saved from their liferaft after their vessel sinks
  2. Guidance on 2018 bass fishing published
  3. Update on latent capacity fishing licence monitoring
  4. Clarification on fishing restrictions for Bass in 2018
See more news and communications in this topic

Research and statistics

  1. Monthly sea fisheries statistics January 2018
  2. Effort statistics December 2017
  3. Effort statistics January 2018
  4. Monthly sea fisheries statistics December 2017
  5. Monthly sea fisheries statistics November 2017
See more research and statistics in this topic

Policy papers and consultations

  1. Implementation of the ILO Work in Fishing Convention 2007 (ILO 188) into UK Law
  2. Consultation on revisions to MGN 570 Emergency drills and MGN 571 Prevention of man overboard
  3. Consultation on a draft MGN providing guidance on a Fishing Safety Management Code
  4. Revised stability guidance for fishing vessels under 15m
  5. Roll or heel tests for fishing vessels
See more policy papers and consultations in this topic

Transparency and freedom of information releases

  1. MCA: Annual report and accounts 2017 to 2018
See more transparency and freedom of information releases in this topic