Maritime and Coastguard Agency
- Working at sea: certification, health and safety
- Ships and cargoes: detailed information and marine notices
- Seafarer certification: working on a UK registered vessel
- Seafarer medical certification and advice
- UK Ship Register
- Commercial fishing and fisheries
- Apply for a boatmasters' licence
- UK Civil Hydrography Programme
- Coastguard search and rescue
- Order free safety materials
- All MCA services and information
New Chief Executive Officer of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency announced.
Svitzer Marine Ltd pleaded guilty to failing to operate a vessel safely and failing to provide a safe system of work.
Keeping you safe at the coast for 200 years: HM Coastguard celebrates landmark birthday
From its beginnings with coastal lookouts to today’s hi-tech national network of coordination centres, from small localised beginnings to international players – one thing has stayed the same for two centuries – Her Majesty’s Coastguard seeks to search, to rescue and to save.
Latest from the Maritime and Coastguard Agency
Subscribe to feed
What we do
We work to prevent the loss of life on the coast and at sea. We produce legislation and guidance on maritime matters, and provide certification to seafarers.
MCA is an executive agency, sponsored by the Department for Transport.
ServicesSee all services
Guidance and regulationSee all guidance and regulation
News and communications
- Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during February 2023 under Paris MOU.
- Virginia McVea appointed Chief Executive Officer of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency
Policy papers and consultations
- Cadet Training & Modernisation Programme Syllabus Review – Fifth Group of Consultation Templates
- Consultation on the eligibility of fishermen for a British Seamen's Card
Transparency and freedom of information releasesSee all transparency and freedom of information releases
In an emergency at the coast
Call 999 and ask for the Coastguard
HM Coastguard and Marine Offices
Emergency contact number for the nearest coastguard
Office address and general enquiries
105 Commercial Road
0203 817 2000
020381 72222 (Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm)
Outside these hours or on bank holidays and weekends, for media enquiries ONLY, please send an email outlining your query and putting #Urgent in the subject title.
Out of hours duty surveyor
+44 (0)7810 528504
Note that this service is for Urgent Technical Enquiries that require action out of office hours only. This number must not be used for any urgent or routine enquires during normal office hours.
All enquiries during office hours, including, but not limited to, technical enquiries, enquiries on registration of ships or seafarer’s certification should use the contact details on the list provided here: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/maritime-and-coastguard-agency/about/access-and-opening
UK Ship Register
105 Commercial Road
023 8032 9197
+44(0)29 2044 8813
+44(0)29 2044 8855
+44(0)29 2044 8866
7:30am to 6:00pm, Monday to Friday.
Seafarer training and certification
Seafarer training and certification switchboard
0203 817 2200
Phone lines are open 8.15am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday.
Seafarer training and certification: deck training
Seafarer training and certification: boatmaster training
Seafarer training and certification: FSE/CEC
Seafarer training and certification: engineering training
Seafarer training and certification: exams section
Seafarer training and certification: revalidation team
Seafarer training and certification: safemanning team
Seafarer training and certification: smart team
Seafarer training and certification: STC courses
UK Beacon Registry
+44 (0)20 3817 2006
+44 (0)1326 319264
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm (except public holidays).
Make an FOI request
- Read about the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act and how to make a request.
- Check our previous releases to see if we’ve already answered your question.
- Make a new request by contacting us using the details below.
Freedom of Information requests
105 Commercial Road
Jobs and contracts
Read about the types of information we routinely publish in our Publication scheme. Find out about our commitment to publishing in Welsh. Our Personal information charter explains how we treat your personal information. Read our policy on Social media use. Find out About our services.