Employment of seafarers

Seafarer employment agreements, recruitment and placement reguations, minimum age and wage regulations.


  1. Application for a discharge book, British seaman's card (MSF 4509)

    Application for a discharge book and or British seaman's card.

  2. Yacht training record book (TRB)

    Training record book for yacht ratings and officers in charge of a navigational watch, yachts less than 3000 GT.

  3. How to apply for a Letter of Initial Assessment

    MSF 4352: for a Letter of Initial Assessment (LIA) leading to the issue of a Notice of Eligibility for Engineers.

  1. Occupational disease report form for UK registered merchant ships

    Employers of seafarers on UK ships to submit this form when seafarers are diagnosed by a medical practitioner with an occupational disease.

See all services

Guidance and regulation

  1. Seafarer medical certificates

    Get a medical certificate to work at sea - ENG 1 or ML5 medical certificates, how much they cost, how to apply

  2. Get a seaman's discharge book or British seaman's card

    Information about who needs a seaman's discharge book and a British seaman's card

  3. Online UK coc/cec checker
  1. MGN 477 Seafarers' Employment Agreements
  2. Seafarer working and living rights

    Information about seafarer working and living rights - working conditions, conditions of employment, safe working practices, living conditions, dangerous cargo, health and medical care, maritime labour convention, human element

See all guidance and regulation

News and communications

  1. Seafarers and the Equality Act 2010
See all news and communications

Policy and engagement

  1. Repatriation of seafarers on sea-going ships regulations
  2. Merchant shipping minimum age regulations
  3. Employment agreements for seafarers on UK sea-going ships
  1. Merchant shipping (hours of work) regulations 2002 and amendments
  2. Merchant shipping recruitment and placement regulations
See all policy and engagement