Exemplar number 1 Register to vote
5 million people registering online to vote each year. Moving 46 million voters from household to individual registration
Service is live in England, Wales and Scotland.
You can also watch a demo of the service’s back end system, filmed July 2013.
- 387 local authorities can now check electoral registers against Department for Work and Pensions data
- Registration details of 46 million people checked by all local authorities in England and Wales
- Built online registration service for 99.9% of voters
- Live service released for users in England, Wales and Scotland
- Welsh language service released
- Live performance dashboard released
- On 21 August 2014 the millionth registration was submitted using the service
- Ensuring the Cabinet Office’s capability to run the live service
- Maintain and improve live service
Live service performance
Digital strategy statement
[We will] increase public trust in the electoral system by improving the accuracy and security of the register…
Scope of exemplar
The Electoral Registration Transformation Programme will improve the electoral registration process by introducing Individual Electoral Registration (IER). Instead of one person in a household supplying the details of all people living at the same address (which can result in fraud and errors), IER will require people to register individually.
To support IER and make it simpler for users, a new digital channel will be created and a method of confirming identities will be introduced. IER is intended to increase trust and modernise our electoral system.