Exemplar number 3 Redundancy payments
100,000 new redundancy claims made each year
This service is being developed in two parts. Part 1 deals with the application, while part 2 deals with compensation for loss of notice. Part 2 went into public beta in January. Part 1 is also now in beta and is supported by GOV.UK Verify.
- A public beta service has been released
- Integrating identity assurance into our service
- Continuing to grow relationships with incumbent suppliers to manage future releases
- Developing a robust way of managing the service for users when it goes live
- Revisit how to integrate new service with existing systems
- Start using the public beta service with real users
Digital strategy statement
Employees who are facing the challenge of redundancy will be able to apply for and access financial support from Government in a more immediate and easy to navigate manner than current channels allow, as will the insolvency practitioners administering cases.
Scope of exemplar
When an employer becomes insolvent employees are often owed money (especially for redundancy pay). The Redundancy Payments Service processes claims for statutory redundancy payments, which are paid from the National Insurance Fund (NIF). The current claim process is largely paper based, which leads to unnecessary cost and increased potential for errors and delays. The scope of the exemplar is to create a digital claim process that will:
- reduce the handling of paper
- identify potential problems within claims so that they may be resolved more quickly
- increase confidence and trust in the system for both claimants and insolvency practitioners