Exemplar number 9 View driving licence
Online access to driving records for up to 40 million drivers and the insurance industry
Service is live and being continuously improved
You can also watch a demo, filmed May 2013.
- Service passed the Digital by Default Service Standard and successfully released
- Service won the Digital Award at the Civil Service Awards 2014 and the TechWorld digital and creative project for the year 2014
- Secure cloud-based hosting built
- Full Identity Assurance service in private beta
- Gathering citizen and trade user feedback to develop and improve the live service
- Integrating with external service partners
- Meeting ministerial commitments, such as the abolition of the licence counterpart and ending the requirement for fleets to carry the V5 document
- Operate and continuously improve the live service
- Develop and release new features such as ‘Share driving licence’
Live service performance
Digital strategy statement
A new enquiry service to provide motor insurance industry and driver enquiry services, all delivered through a ‘greenfield’ IT procurement approach developed jointly with the GDS. This will see a move away from expensive legacy ICT systems, using an innovative ‘agile’ approach to designing services and platforms.
Scope of exemplar
Motor insurers will access DVLA data on penalty points and what vehicles users are allowed to drive to check insurance applications and cut honest drivers’ premiums, thus implementing Financial Services Authority requirements. Drivers will be able to check their personal data through a portal.
Phase 2: Possible data access for car hire companies, police and other European governments.