Exemplar number 24 Prison visit booking
1.5 million prison visits booked online every year
Live. Service is in use in 95 Category B prisons, including Youth and Women’s.
- Service standardised across pilot prisons
- User research done for male Category B and below, Youth, Women’s, High Security Estate (Category A) and Contracted Out prisons
- Live performance dashboard released
- Passed live Digital by Default Service Standard assessment
- Live service released
- 100,000 prison visit bookings submitted since the release of the public beta
- Developing a standard process for booking visits across all prisons
- Integrating the new service with existing online booking systems
- Continuously improve live service based on user feedback
- Improve response times through full integration with existing booking systems
Live service performance
Digital strategy statement
…our single biggest transactional service, which at the moment is a phone- or email-based, manual data entry system.
Scope of exemplar
Different prisons book visits in different ways. It is mostly done by phone or email and often requires family members to spend a long time getting through on the phone. A digital channel will cut administrative costs to the National Offender Management Service (NOMS) and make the process easier for families — encouraging more to visit — and more efficient for professional visitors.