Exemplar number 21 Visas
If you need a visa to visit the UK you’ll be able to apply using a simple online service
Recently passed the live Digital by Default Service Assessment and migrating to the live service.
You can also watch a demo introducing the service, filmed July 2013.
- Passing live Digital by Default Service Assessment
- Service manager is supported by a great product team
- Service team are very good exponents of agile delivery
- China Visit Visa beta delivered on time and budget
- Extensive user research with a range of groups, including overseas users, English second-language users, agencies and UK legal representatives
- Provided foreign language guidance in simplified Chinese and established a multi-lingual framework for managing translated content
- Excellent feedback from users with an average satisfaction of 80%
- Over 60,000 Visit Visa applications from China have been completed so far
- The case working process is benefitting from the new, clearer service as the quality of submitted data is improving
- We’re frequently improving the service based on user feedback
- Existing teams and suppliers have to step up to new ways of working
- Building Civil Service capability in digital skills
- Generating digital content that balances the different needs of law, policy, security, an english second-language audience, and GOV.UK content guidelines
- Creating translated content that retains the same meaning and balance across these disparate needs
- Improving the governance of the service to embrace agile principles
- Continue to iteratively improve the Standard Visit Visa for China based on user feedback and research
- As a priority, develop service for travel agent groups from China
- Develop the current model for service management to meet the standard required for a GOV.UK live service
- Reuse the exemplar technology for other types of Visa
- Refine the agile team and recruit more Civil Service capability to support its work, filling several team vacancies
- Help to establish a new service governance model based on agile principles
- Prepare for live Digital by Default Service Standard assessment
Digital strategy statement
…a single intelligent interface which adapts the questions it asks the user based on business rules: avoiding unnecessary questions and providing a dynamic, streamlined process that users (many of whom are not native English speakers) find simple and accessible.
Scope of exemplar
Better visa process is a political priority to drive UK growth by promoting visits from tourists, students and business people. Currently 3.57m visas are issued at a cost of £649m/year, £182 per transaction.