Exemplar number 7 Waste carrier registration
100,000 waste carriers registering online in the first year
This service is being developed in two phases. Phase 1 is for basic registration for some waste carriers, while phase 2 will add new features, such as payments and renewal, and cater for all waste carriers. Phase 1 is in public beta. Phase 2 has passed its public beta Digital by Default Service Assessment.
- Public beta released within 3 months of starting
- Beta service passed the Digital by Default Service Standard assessment
- Updates to beta released without disrupting the service for users
- Over 20,000 users registered in the first 6 months
- 96% of users registered online with a satisfaction rating of 89%
- Defra minister successfully used service in July 2014
- Assembling and managing the team to run the live service
- Developing the service to include a payments and renewal service and cater for all waste carriers
- Preparing for live assessment
- Consider how far the underlying platform can be used for other Defra digital services
- Share lessons from the exemplar across the Environment Agency and Defra
Live service performance
Digital strategy statement
Key benefits of service redesign will include:
- Provision of a user-friendly and convenient digital service channel.
- Reducing the costs associated with the current paper-based system for business and government.
- Potentially integrating with other business-focused transactions across government
Scope of exemplar
The new service will enable easy online registration as a waste carrier. Savings currently forecast at between £2 million and £4 million, to be achieved over the next five years.