Exemplar number 12 Carer’s Allowance
240,000 people claim Carer’s Allowance a year
Service is live and being continuously improved.
You can also watch a demo, checking whether you’re eligible to make a claim, filmed July 2013.
- 160,000 digital claims submitted since release of public beta
- Live service, including Welsh language version, released
- More than half of applications are now made using the digital service
- User satisfaction ratings of approximately 90%
- Change of circumstances can now be reported online
- To increase channel shift: increase digital take-up and move away from paper transactions
- Continue to improve the live service
- Integrate the live service with more of the department’s systems to improve efficiency for agents and reduce paper processing
Live service performance
Digital strategy statement
The new service is being developed with the needs of carers at its heart, looking to remove complexity from the current user journey. There are clear benefits for people who are caring full-time of being able to interact with the Department at a time and in a way that suits them.
Scope of exemplar
Carer’s Allowance is a benefit for people looking after someone with substantial caring needs. Users can currently make a claim through the post or online. The exemplar project replaced the previous online claim process which had low take-up and did not meet the standards set out in the department’s digital strategy.
The Carer’s Allowance project is currently in public beta and is regularly tested with real users. We will continue to improve the service with regular small releases. To learn more about the Carer’s Allowance work you can visit the DWP Digital Blog where we’ll be posting regular updates.