You might need to transfer or replace your visa if one of the following applies:
- your passport has expired
- your name or personal details have changed
- the 90-day sticker in your passport (called a vignette) has expired
Your passport has expired
What you need to do depends on if you use your visa to:
- travel to and from the UK
- prove your right to work in the UK
Travel to and from the UK
You can use the valid visa in your expired passport when you’re travelling to and from the UK. You’ll need to travel with your expired and your new passport.
If you’re inside the UK you can choose to replace your visa with a biometric residence permit (the cost depends on your visa status).
If you’re outside the UK you can choose to transfer your visa to a new passport online (it costs £154). You’ll need to prove your identity at a visa application centre to complete your application.
You’ll usually get a decision on your application within 3 weeks of proving your identity.
Prove your right to work in the UK
You cannot use a valid visa in your expired passport to prove you have the right to work in the UK. You must replace your visa with a biometric residence permit.
Your name or personal details have changed
You must replace your visa with a biometric residence permit if your overall stay in the UK is longer than 6 months and any of the following details change:
- facial appearance
- date of birth
- the sex listed on your passport
You usually need to show that your passport has your new details when you apply for a visa. You do not need to do this if you’ve changed your name because you:
- are a victim of crime, for example domestic violence
- are a witness of crime
- have changed gender (and the law in your country of origin does not recognise or permit a change in name or marker of gender or sex)
- are a dual national and cannot change the name on your non-British passport
- are a recognised refugee, stateless person, or are subject to humanitarian protection, and are unable to approach your national authorities
You do not need to get a biometric residence permit or report any changes if your stay in the UK is less than 6 months.
The 90-day sticker (vignette) in your passport has expired
Your vignette lasts for 90 days. It allows you to travel to the UK and collect your biometric residence permit when you are in the UK.
If your 90-day visa vignette expires before you travel to the UK, you will need to replace it by transferring your visa to a new passport online. It costs £154 to replace your vignette. You’ll need to provide your biometric information at a visa application centre to complete your application.
You’ll usually get a decision on whether your visa can be transferred within 3 weeks of proving your identity.