You’ll have to apply for a biometric residence permit (BRP) as part of your application to extend your visa or settle in the UK.

You can’t apply for a BRP on its own - you can only apply as part of your application to extend your visa or settle.

You’ll also have to apply for a BRP if you want to transfer your visa to a new passport or apply for certain Home Office travel documents.

A BRP shows:

  • your name, date and place of birth
  • your fingerprints and a photo of your face (this is your ‘biometric information’)
  • your immigration status and any conditions of your stay
  • whether you can access public funds (eg benefits and health services)

You can use the permit to confirm:

  • your identity
  • your right to study or work in the UK
  • your right to any public services or benefits you’re entitled to

Read the guidance about BRPs for more information.

Personal data you need to provide

You’ll be asked to provide your biometric information as part of the application process.

You’ll need to:

  • have a digital photo taken of your face
  • put your fingers on a glass screen to be scanned

The process takes less than 5 minutes and doesn’t involve any ink or mess.

If you don’t have any fingers or hands you’ll only need to have a digital photo taken of your face. It will be noted on your records that you’re physically unable to provide fingerprints.

Children under 16 must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or someone over 18 who has legal responsibility for the child.

Children under 6 don’t need to provide fingerprints but must have a digital photo taken of their face.

Where to provide your biometric information

You can give your biometric information:

Problems with your BRP

Your permit hasn’t arrived

Contact the Home Office if you haven’t received your permit within 10 working days of the date on your visa decision letter.

Your permit contains errors

You must report any errors within 10 working days of receiving your permit. If you don’t you may have to reapply and pay for a replacement BRP.

Include the following in your email:

  • your passport number
  • your biometric residence permit reference number
  • your case reference number
  • a contact telephone number
  • details of exactly what information is wrong

Your permit has been lost or stolen

You must report the loss or theft to the Home Office immediately and apply to replace your BRP.

Report changes to your personal details

You must report changes to your address, personal details or circumstances.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.