You must have a biometric residence permit (BRP) if you want to:
- apply to come to the UK
- apply to extend your visa or settle in the UK
- transfer your visa to a new passport
- apply for certain Home Office travel documents
You can use your BRP to confirm your:
- right to study or work in the UK
- right to any public services or benefits you’re entitled to
How you get a BRP
You don’t have to apply for a BRP. You’ll get one automatically as part of your visa or immigration application.
When you make your visa or immigration application you have to give the personal data that appears on your BRP.
Read the guidance about biometric residence permits if you’re applying from: