Ask for a visa administrative review

If you're in the UK

You’ll be told in your application refusal letter if you can ask for the decision on your visa application to be reviewed. This is known as an ‘administrative review’.

You can ask for your application to be reviewed if one of the following apply:

  • your application was refused
  • your application was granted but you’re unhappy with the amount or conditions of your leave

This is known as an ‘administrative review’.

You may be able to appeal if you’re not eligible for an administrative review.

There’s a different way to ask for an administrative review if you applied to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Apply for administrative review

If your application was refused, you must apply for an administrative review within 14 days of getting the decision.

Your refusal letter will tell you how to apply. You may be able to apply online. It costs £80.

You must apply within 7 days if you’ve been detained.

If your application was granted but you’re unhappy with the amount or conditions of your leave, you must email the Home Office within 14 days of getting your biometric residence permit.

Contact UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) if you have a general enquiry about immigration.

Get a decision

The decision will be checked for the errors you point out. Do not send new information or documents for review unless you’ve been asked to.

You’ll usually receive the result of the administrative review within 28 days. You cannot request a second review (unless the result included new reasons why you were refused).

If your visa’s expired, you will not usually be removed from the UK until your review has been completed.

Withdraw your request

Your request for an administrative review will be withdrawn (cancelled) if you:

  • make any other immigration or visa application
  • ask for your passport back so you can travel
  • leave the UK

Your request will be rejected if you ask for a review of a previous decision after submitting a new application.

You can also email the Home Office and ask for your request to be withdrawn.

You must include your name, date of birth, nationality and either your administrative review payment reference number or Home Office reference number in your email.