You can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber) if the Home Office has decided to:

  • refuse your protection claim (also known as ‘asylum claim’ or ‘humanitarian protection’)
  • revoke your protection status
  • refuse your human rights claim
  • deport you or refuse you a residence document under the Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016
  • revoke your British citizenship
  • deport you, refuse or revoke your status, or vary the length or condition of your stay under the EU Settlement Scheme
  • refuse or revoke your travel permit or family permit under the EU Settlement Scheme

The tribunal is independent of government. A judge will listen to both sides of the argument before making a decision.

If you do not have the right to appeal, you might be able to ask the Home Office for an administrative review.

How to appeal

Find out how to appeal from:

There’s a different way to appeal if you made your application before 6 April 2015.

If you’re a solicitor or an immigration adviser

If you’re appealing a protection decision on behalf of someone, you need to appeal online because of coronavirus (COVID-19). Create an account first, if you don’t have one.

Help you can get

You can get help and advice from a solicitor or an immigration adviser.

You can also contact Citizens Advice.

Read the guide on representing yourself if you’re not going to have a legal representative.

You may be able to get asylum support (such as housing and money) if you’ve been refused asylum.

Contact the tribunal if you have any questions about your appeal. The tribunal cannot give you legal advice.

First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber) customer.service@justice.gov.uk
Telephone: 0300 123 1711
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Urgent appeal applications

You need to write to the tribunal with:

  • the reason why your case should be heard urgently
  • evidence of compelling or compassionate grounds, for example letters from a doctor or hospital

You should write ‘expedite requests’ on the top of any documents you send with your application.

A judge will review your evidence and decide whether your application should be heard sooner than usual.

Your application will only be reviewed if you’ve paid your tribunal fee (if you need to pay one).

Where to send your application

Send your reasons for the urgent appeal and evidence to the tribunal.

Expedite Requests The First-tier Tribunal
Office of the Duty Judge
First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber)
PO Box 6987
Leicester LE1 6ZX

Contact the tribunal to check if your application has been received.

Expedite Requests The First-Tier Tribunal customer.service@justice.gov.uk
Fax: 0870 739 5895

If your EU Settlement Scheme application is unsuccessful

You can apply again for the EU Settlement Scheme for free if you have new evidence to submit.

You can ask the Home Office for an administrative review. This costs £80. You’ll usually get a decision within 28 days. You decision letter will tell you if you can apply.

You can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber). This costs £80 without a hearing and £140 with a hearing. You can only appeal decisions on applications made from 11pm on 31 January 2020.