1. Overview

For amounts above your annual Personal Allowance, you must always pay Income Tax on:

  • income from work, including full-time, part-time and temporary jobs
  • profits you make if you’re self-employed
  • interest from bank, building society and some National Savings accounts or bonds - but not from Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs)
  • pensions (including the State Pension, company or personal pensions and retirement annuities)
  • dividends from company shares (unless you hold them in an ISA)
  • rental income from property (unless it’s £4,250 or less per year for a room in the same property you live in)
  • pensioner bonds
  • income from a trust

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.