Check if you need to tell HMRC about additional income

Check if you need to tell HMRC about income that’s not from your employer, or not already included in your Self Assessment if you work for yourself.

This may include money you earn from things like:

  • selling things, for example at car boot sales or auctions, or online
  • doing casual jobs such as gardening, food delivery or babysitting
  • charging other people for using your equipment or tools
  • renting out property or part of your home, including for holidays (for example, through an agency or online)
  • creating content online, for example on social media

This service is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

If you have income from savings or investments check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return instead.

If you’ve sold property, shares or other assets for a profit you may have to pay Capital Gains Tax.

Check now