Help with legal costs

If you’re on low income, you might be eligible for legal aid. It can help you meet the costs of legal advice and representation in a court or tribunal.

If you have not received advice before, the Housing Loss Prevention Advice Service can help you. It provides you with a specialist adviser on the day of your hearing who can:

  • represent you
  • help you come to an arrangement with your mortgage lender to pay off your debts

The scheme runs in county courts in England and Wales.

For more information, contact the court where your case is being heard or find a legal adviser through the Housing Loss Prevention Advice Service.

If the service is not available in your area, check with the court whether there are other advice services.