Legal aid for possession proceedings

Information about legal aid available for people facing the loss of their home.

Applies to England and Wales

Housing Loss Prevention Advice Service

Government-funded legal advice and representation (legal aid) is available to anyone facing possession proceedings.

Help is available from the moment you receive written notice that someone is seeking the possession of your home. This might be an email from your landlord or a letter from a creditor. Your financial situation will not affect your right to access this support and you will not need to pay.

A housing expert (funded by the government) will work with you to identify what may be causing someone to seek possession of your home and recommend potential solutions. For example, they may be able to provide legal advice on matters such as:

  • illegal eviction
  • disrepair and other problems with housing conditions
  • rent arrears
  • mortgage arrears
  • welfare benefits payments
  • debt

In the event you are unable to resolve matters and you are asked to attend a court hearing, a housing adviser can also provide free legal advice and representation at the court. Please arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your hearing and speak to the court usher and they will direct you to the adviser.

You can find your nearest Housing Loss Prevention Advice Service provider by typing in your postcode and ticking the box ‘Housing Loss Prevention Advice Service’ at:


Housing Loss Prevention Advice Service leaflet (PDF, 105 KB, 1 page)

Published 1 August 2023
Last updated 30 August 2023 + show all updates
  1. Leaflet published.

  2. Added translation

  3. First published.