Declare or report cash in hand pay

‘Cash in hand’ payments for work are like any other income - they must be declared to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Report cash in hand pay

Report a business or your employer to HMRC if they’re paying workers ‘cash in hand’ without paying Income Tax or National Insurance.

Contact the HMRC fraud hotline to report tax evasion online or by phone.

For your own safety you shouldn’t:

  • try to find out more about the fraud
  • let anyone know you’re making a report
  • encourage anyone to commit a crime so you can get more information

You risk losing your employment rights and some benefits if you accept cash in hand payments, and may have to pay the tax and National Insurance contributions yourself.

Declare cash in hand pay if you’re working for yourself

You must declare cash in hand payments if you’re working for yourself.