You need to pay back:

  • Tuition Fee Loans
  • Maintenance Loans
  • Postgraduate Loans

You do not need to pay back other student finance, for example grants and bursaries. You will have to repay any overpayments if you receive more of any type of student finance than you’re entitled to.

You still have to repay your student loan if you leave your course early.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

When you start repaying your loan and how much you pay depends on which repayment plan you’re on.

Keep your contact details up to date in your online account so that you can get messages about your loan.

How to repay

How you repay your loan depends on whether you’re employed or self-employed.

You can make extra repayments in your online account and by card, bank transfer or cheque.

Keep your payslips and your P60 for your records - you’ll need them if you want to get a refund.

If you leave the UK for more than 3 months

You must tell the Student Loans Company (SLC) if you’re leaving the UK for more than 3 months - for example, if you go travelling or if you move overseas. 

Tell SLC by updating your employment details.

You’ll be expected to keep repaying your loan unless you can give proof (for example, a recent bank statement) that your overseas income is below the threshold.

If you do not tell SLC, you could build up debt (‘accrue arrears’) on your account. You’ll need to pay arrears back on top of your regular repayments.

If you return to the UK after more than 3 months away

You must update your employment details when you return to the UK after more than 3 months away.

If you do not, you’ll continue repaying your loan at the rate for the country you’ve been living in. That could mean:

  • paying more than you need to
  • you’re charged a higher rate of interest

Sign in

Sign in to your online account if you already have one.